Rich's Rugger Round-up 23/11/05

Once upon a time the Sunbury Centre producd match previews and reports so you'll find all our old ones here ...

Rich's Rugger Round-up 23/11/05

by Rich H on Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:49 am

Rich's Rugger Round-up. Sponsored by Four Seasons Landscapes, purveyors of Christmas Trees and all things lovely for the garden.

With the AI's continuing the social rugby calendar remains confusing. You'd think it didn't happen every year, wouldn't you? Still, some fools managed to misplace their priorities and pull on their boots last weekend instead of shouting themselves hoarse at the television.

Reading RFC

Reading I's entertained Havant I's at Holme Park. Some of the Havant squad looked familiar after the FB7's, but I may be mistaken. Hmm. Reading upset the odds and led for most of the match, finally running off 28-22 winners. Although Havant made silly mistakes that could have cost them the game, Reading did well to take their chances and deserved the result.

Reading II's - no fixture

Reading IV's finally played their official TVIL Div B fixture against Redingensians III at the Old Bath Road ground and won handsomely 24-5. Reading go 2nd in the league behind unbeaten Basingstoke while 'Ensians slip to second from bottom, a far cry from last year's heady performance.

Reading Vets played host to 'Ensians IV's and, in a tight and compelling encounter, clung on to a 13-10 lead for the last 20 minutes to secure the points in TVIL Div C. In a tight table with just 2 points between 1st & 5th, the Rhino's are holding their own against the spring chickens.

Redingensians

With thanks to Paul Clark.

'Ensians I's put in a powerful forward display to dominate and take the spoils from Amersham & Chiltern. The visitors were annihilated 43-0. 'Ensians looked every bit the top of the table side they are.

'Ensians II's - no fixture/result

'Ensians III's seem a shadow of the team that took on all-comers last year as they went down 5-24 to visiting Reading IV's, who are on a roll. 'Ensians are now just one place of bottom after securing promotion at the end of last season.

'Ensians IV's hearts were broken after standing toe-to-toe with Reading Vets for 80 minutes, going down 13-10. Reading's aged but heavy and experienced pack was the difference between the sides. "It should have been a draw" reported one of the players. Reading Vets just smile serenely. It could be dementia, of course.

Reading Abbey

With four losses in a row, Reading Abbey I's could have been forgiven for approaching their match with unbeaten Chinnor for a PG SW1 match-up with apprehension. Chinnor and Abbey have already played this season in a cup fixture and on that occasion Chinnor romped home 39-0. This match was to be no try fest, but a war of attrition. Forcing the opposition into punishable mistakes was the order of the day and Abbey's defence was heroic as they celebrated a 9-6 win.

Reading Abbey II's - no fixture/result.

Abbey III's. Despite allowing the visitors to cross the whitewash, Abbey were too strong for Tadley II's and recorded a 33-14 home win, their first in TVIL Div B.

Abbey IV's welcomed Oxford Harlequins to Rose Hill but sent them homeward tae think again after a 22-12 win. This should give Abbey some confidence as they next play host to Reading Vets for a 'friendly'. Yours truly intends to play and hopes to break rather fewer fingers than the last time in the same fixture. My fault for being on the wrong side, I suppose.

Tadley RFC

Tadley I's kept up the pressure on their Southern Counties (South) league opponents with a 64-5 drubbing of Cooper and Avon Tyres. The result sees them remain in 2nd. With an important match against Wootton Bassett next up, they hope to carry their momentum forward.

The same cannot, sadly, be said of Tadley II's as they came home with their tales between their legs (where else?) after being dealt a 33-14 beating by Abbey at Rose Hill.

Tadley III's, on the other hand, added to their TVIL Div D points with a good win at home to High Wycombe. The hosts chalked up 39-17 to come within 3 points of the top of the league.

Henley Wanderers RFC

With Henley I's the only side fielded by the Dry Leas club this weekend, all eyes were on their bottom-of-the-table clash at Aylesbury. Henley were able to despatch their hosts 24-15 to put some daylight between themselves and the strugglers.

Berkshire Shire Hall

No news. I'll drop Shire Hall from the report next week onwards unless anybody objects.

Newbury

Newbury I's travelled to Nottingham with hopes of staying in touch with the pack chasing the 2nd spot in Nat Div 1, the 1st spot pretty much already decided. It looked grim for a while as the hosts charged to a 20-6 lead. Newb's manfully fought back to take the high-scoring match to the wire recording a 37-40 win as the pack crashed over the whitewash following a classic 'catch-and-drive'.

Newbury's webmaster can't be arsed to record the results of the other FOUR senior sides so neither can I! If anyone is willing to send me Newbury results on a regular basis I would be glad to include them.

Basingstoke

Stoke I's continue to perform well in PG SW1 as they demolished another hapless opponent beating Spartans 5-37 on their own ground. Stoke have now joined Clifton and Weston SM at the top but need to keep their form going as the other two teams have games in hand.

Stoke II's played Farnham II's in a friendly - result not in.

Stoke Vets couldn't make any impact on Portsmouth as they lost 0-7. Must have been a thriller.
Rich H

by dom_pedro on Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:27 pm

Rich, looks like you're having a hard time with the local teams - lazy blighters. Thanks again. I've made your 'Four Seasons Landscaping' into a link to your home page by the way.

I'd have one of them trees off you, but I'm planning on finding a U-Cut supplier so I can chop my own down. Might speak to you sometime about some gardening work though. I don't know about all this advertising you know :wink:
Advertisement: dom_pedro's post is sponsored by www.artybugs.co.uk - creative and educational messy play for the Under-5s based in the Mortimer and Burghfield areas. Tickets are available for the Arty Bugs Christmas Parties. :wink:
dom_pedro
Site Admin

by PGT on Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 pm

Rich,

Could you include the LI Amateur results on your rugby round up. I usually get a weekly round-up on Sunbury activities from John Flynn on Thursday and could forward the cetails onto you if this would help.

As regards Christmas trees and gardening, I suppose Essex is a bit to far; shame really.
PGT

by Rich H on Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:05 am

Be very happy to include the Wild Geese in the round-up. Their website is pretty good so I hadn't thought to include them but I'm happy to give the punters what they want.

Essex is too far for a reasonably priced Christmas tree delivery but not for Landscaping/Gardening. We've worked in Kent and Gwent so Essex is not a far cry!
Rich H

Return to Old Previews and Reports